Tuesday, February 12, 2013

On social networking & the giving of gifts

Speaking of the new series I'm working on, the entire concept is based upon this photograph I took at our hostel in in Budapest, Hungary, this past fall. The coverlets were a little disconcerting, but it was a magnificent old building, and we ate cheese and drank $2 wine, and for $12 a night, we were completely happy to stay there.


From this photograph, I developed this sketch:


...and from this sketch will develop the painting that my entire new series, entitled "These walls we hide behind", will be based around. Although much of the series will be completed on small wooden panels, this piece will be on stretched canvas and will be much larger than the ones I've currently been working on. That's the plan, anyway... you know how plans change.

As many of you know, I do a great deal of my business (which now allows me to work full-time as an artist, which is absolutely amazing.. to anyone that has encouraged or contributed to that, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart) via social networking. I do believe that it is extremely important for artists to pursue opportunities outside of the internet as well, such as juried shows, charity events, networking opportunities, and collaborative and solo exhibitions, but having a supportive base of followers via Facebook, Twitter, my blog and my website has allowed me to continue to sell work and prints, and negotiate commissions, even if I go through a period of time where my work is not hanging in a physical gallery. 

That's where you come in. In the past 3 days, I've gained almost eighty new followers via my Facebook page, and to celebrate this (and because I would LOVE to hit the 2k mark), I'm giving away the above sketch (valued at $75) to one lucky duck of a winner. Simply visit my Facebook page (listed above, or you can click on this link: www.facebook.com/heidikeyesart) and share the related post or a link to my page (be sure to leave a comment and let me know that you did... sometimes Facebook hides things from me, and I'm not a mind reader), and I'll throw your name into a hat. The winner will be chosen when I reach 2000 likes, however long (or short) that may take. 

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Share away. 



1 comment: